Sunday, September 21, 2008

The (Hollywood Bowl) Hills Are Live!

Oh my goodness, you won't believe what I did with my friend Vivian the other night. On Friday night, Vivian invited me to go to the Sound Of Music Sing-a-long with a few of her former co-workers. I love musicals, and Rogers and Hammerstein, so I thought it would be fun. I had no idea it would also be hysterical! Evidently, there is a whole "cult following" of people who attend this event every year, and we've been missing out! People arrived in costumes (nuns, Austrian folk dancers, "brown paper packages tied up with string," "musical notes" (Do-Re-Mi, etc.) and my favorite, the TREES full of LITTLE CHILDREN. People must spend all year watching the movie to get ideas.
Once the movie started, it was a full on "contact sport." People in the audience were instructed to not only sing along, but hold up various props, (which we received in goodie bags as we entered the bowl.) make noices, hoot and holler, scream at the bad guys, and even bark like a dog when the character "Rolf" appeared! Vivian and I were cracking up the whole time, because we had no idea what was happening. We LOST it when people whipped out their flashlights and started pointing them at the screen during the scene when the nazi's were searching for the Von Trapps in the graveyard. My favorite part? 15,000 people popping their "New Year's Eve Champaign Bottle Poppers" at the moment that Captain Von Trapp and Maria had their first kiss! Oh my goodness! Next time we'll be more prepared! Thanks Vivian for inviting me!

No comments: